Monday, August 24, 2009

What if I...

So, here I am..landed again in Southern California. Mission Viejo to be exact.
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful. (Thanks JB)
Plans went awry in Texas and I am having to start over again. Seems I go around a couple times and the record starts over...sometimes at 33 1/3rd, others at 78 rpm.

Tonight for dinner is
Filet Mignon, cos I got it real cheap ($5.99 a lb!!!)
and Potatoes Anna... and a nice glass of wine and good company.

So, there is a lot I could be doing.. like making cute little cooking videos for you to see. Maybe I will start next week. Have to be real careful though, starting to run out of money. Makes things somewhat scary.

Recipe of the Day...or week, we'll see how I am feelin' it later

Filet Mignon with Anna Potatoes
Yup, that is what we had.

I made the Filet like this

I have a cast iron grill pan, which is awesome.. DR has the last one I had in CA before Texas. Anyhow, I cut the filets off the 2# piece I got yesterday at Ranch Market (@ Marguerite and Trabuco) for hella cheap...Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Fleur de Sel and Tellecherry crushed peppercorns rolled them in it and let it sit for a good hour. It has been said that salting the meat well in advance of cooking it toughens it... not tonight but it was beef TENDERloin.
I got the pan good-n-hot smokin' and put in the filets and promptly put it in the 425 oven.
7 minutes later I pulled it out and set it one the stove to rest...Lamar opened a bottle of wine, poured the 3 of us a glass and we rested.

The potatoes went like this:
2 small russets, peeled and sliced 1/4in thick
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp each white pepper and fleur de sel (s&p)
1 tsp garlic, in the melted butter
1/3rd cup shredded cheddar

I sprayed a 9 in pie pan with Pam and laid out in a circular manner the potatoes in one layer, poured a 1/3rd of the butter-garlic mixture around, the s&p, laid another layer, more butter, more s&p, and a final layer with the last of the butter and s&p.
I put this pan over a burner to brown the potatoes, about 15 minutes med heat, I then put it into the oven @ 425 for about 20 minutes, covered. Remove the foil, add the shredded cheese and cook for another 15 minutes. You want the potatoes soft and creamy, crispy around the edges..I made them well before the filet because..well, it took a while.

We ate it and it was good. We ate talking about a bunch of crap, just words falling out of our mouths.. in between bites of $5.99 filet mignon, cooked perfectly medium, with bastardized anna potatoes...for a few minutes.. life was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment